Should I die

Barclays Bank London Eastern Pensioners' Club

If I should die. A suggested list of practical information to leave behind to make it easier for family and executors to cope with things that need to be done.

My nearest friend/relative


My next of kin


My affairs are handled by


My will is kept at


My solicitor


My Bank account (s)


State Benefits


My Doctor


My Minister of Religion


My funeral wishes are


Other documents are attached

or may be found in


Suggested action to be taken by family/executors in the event of death.

This list may not be exhaustive, but it will help to guide you through the main actions to be taken.

You might also find it helpful to visit and select 'Reporting a death' from the drop down menu on the top bar.

1.  Advise the following as soon as possible.

     Barclays Bank UK Retirement Pensions Administration,  Towers Watson

     PO Box 709,  Redhill, RH1 9EG  (Tel: 01737 227567)

     or email

     Where known, please provide the address, staff number, National

     Insurance number and date of birth of the deceased.

     Towers Watson will definitely want a copy of the death certificate.

     Where there is a surviving spouse, the marriage certificate and the birth

     certificate of the spouse will also be required to activate the spouse's


     The Secretary of the London Eastern Pensioners' Club.

     This can be done via the website contact page.

     These two organisations may also be able to provide you with additional

     help and quidance.

2   The attending doctor should have provided:

     * A free medical certificate showing the cause of death (enclosed

        in a sealed envelope addressed to the Registrar of Deaths).

     * A notice stating that he has signed a medical certificate, and details

        of the procedure for registering a death.

3   Register the death with the local Registrar of Births, Marriages and

     Deaths  (you will find the address in the telephone directory)

     Unless the death has been reported to the coroner, it must be registered

     within five days.  The following documents and information will be


     * Evidence of the cause of death  (i.e. the medical certificate).

     * The deceased's National Health card, if this is possible.

     * The date and place of death.

     * The full forenames and surnames of the deceased; their occupation;

        and their date and place of birth.

     * The date of birth of the surviving spouse (if applicable).

     * Wheather the deceased was receiving any State Benefits.

The Registrar will check the documents, register the death, and

provide the applicant with

     * A certificate of disposal (which must be given to the funeral director

        to authorise the burial or cremation).

     * A certificate of registration of death.  This is for social security purposes

       and on production to the DHSS will prove entitlement of Death Grant

       or Widow's Benefit.  Extra copies can be obtained for a small fee and

       it is worth getting at least five (one will be needed by the Bank, and others

       to claim under insurance policies etc. )

     * Pamphlets on Welfare Benefits that might be available, and a grant

       form PR48 which gives guidance on obtaining a Grant of Probate.

4   Confirm the funeral arrangements.  Check whether the deceased's

      will contained instructions for either burial or cremation (although there

      is no legal obligation on the next of kin or executors to follow these


5    Determine who are the personal representatives (executors) who are

      resposible for administering the estate.  If this is Barclays UK Trusts,

      contact them immediately (Tel: 02075 743 027)

6    Other steps to be taken, normally by the executors are to

      * Go through the provisions of the will.

      *Pension and Welfare Benefits. Advise DHSS of death.

      * Apply for any death grant and any appropriate welfare benefits.

      * Inform the deceased's banks, insurance and credit card companies

        of the death (the banks will stop all the deceased's unpresented cheques)

      *Inform Churches, clubs and any other organisations which the deceased

        atrtended, or to which they belonged.

      * If the deceased's  car is to be used, obtain a new certificate of insurance.

The Barclays Personal Banking website ( has

some additional useful information in the Help & Support section under

the heading of "What to do when someone dies"